Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Do I Have Enough Milk?

About the time my milk supply adjusted to Aya's needs, I began to worry I didn't have enough milk. I have since learned that it is common for moms to worry about this somewhere around 6 weeks when a milk supply typically balances out. For me, it was a bit later than that. I worried because Aya seemed to want to eat more frequently, my breasts never felt very full, and Aya would pat at my breast throughout feedings, often coming off the breast acting frustrated. I thought all of these things must be indicators that I didn't have enough milk. I got worried and called a breastfeeding hotline through my hospital. The lactation consultant I spoke to agreed it sounded as though I may need to boost my supply. However, later that day, I was able to connect with the lactation consultant I had worked with previously. Unlike the other lactation consultant, she felt my milk supply was probably fine. Her clue was that Aya was still going for long stretches at night. She said if a milk supply is in jeopardy, a baby who eats frequently all day long will get up at night too. Again, after talking to two different lactation consultants and hearing two different responses, I was reminded breastfeeding is about a lot of love, a little bit of science, and a lot of experimenting-- accompanied by trusting you and your baby.

Feeling confident Aya did have enough milk, I began experimenting a little to see why Aya seemed frustrated. I kept think she was coming off of the breast because she wasn't getting enough. So, I switched her to the other side and once again, she would come off the breast and hit my chest. I didn't think she could possibly be done because she hadn't nursed for what I considered to be long enough. She used to nurse for at least 15 minutes, so the new 5-10 minute routine confused me. Finally, I gave up, and when she came off of each breast, patting them, I stopped nursing her. She smiled. Aya wasn't patting at my breast, coming on and off, frustrated and fidgety because she didn't have enough to eat; rather, she was trying to tell me she had had enough. She was more efficient now and she was ready to play.

2 comments:

  1. Your post made me smile - tonight Leif nursed on the second side for only 3-4 minutes, and after letting go twice and smiling up at me, I told him, "OK, you're done. You're not focusing here."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only way to accurately diagnose low milk supply is by counting poops, pees, and weight gain. Fussing, falling asleep, frequent nursing, acting frustrated, falling off the breast, and fullness/emptiness of breasts are not good indicators. Yet, it is very easy to doubt! I'm glad your LC helped you understand your little one's cues--I had a hard time with this too.

    I also blogged about this issue: http://babyfood1.blogspot.com/2010/05/supply.html

    ReplyDelete