Saturday, August 14, 2010

La Leche League Meetings

I went to my third La Leche League meeting yesterday morning. It is always so good to be with other moms. Moms seem to be very supportive of one another and value one anothers perspectives and experiences. It is nice to be in a place where you don't feel judged, only encouraged. Aya loves the meetings too. At home she won't sit on my lap for more than a minute or two without being ready to get up and move. But when Aya is with other people she seems to be able to sit for much longer stretches of time, happily taking in the sights and sounds that other babies provide.

Yesterday we did talk about some breastfeeding concerns, but we also talked about things like how to make time for yourself when your baby is little, how to prepare quick meals, and how to still make time for your spouse.

I am learning I really do love the philosophy of La Leche League. It isn't just about breastfeeding a baby. It is also about nurturing a little life and being aware of how motherhood also shapes you as a person, too. For me, La Leche League beautifully captures the entire picture of breastfeeding. It almost puts mother's milk as a nutritional source at the end of its long list of benefits and focuses more on the connection, love, security and peace a baby enjoys while feeding. I believe the philosophy of La Leche League has helped me to slow down as a mom and savor it more because it has helped me see breastfeeding not just as a meal, but as an intimate way to connect with my Aya.

No comments:

Post a Comment