Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Nursing to Sleep

When Aya was a littler bean, evenings were a difficult period of time. She was often fussier and had a hard time settling in. In time, evenings became less stressful for all of us. We developed a routine I have come to love. Each evening when Aya shows signs of exhaustion, we give her a bath, a nice massage with nice smelling lotion or oil, and nurse. I love the last nurse of the day because it almost always ends with a sleeping, suckling baby, nestled between my belly and arm. She can suckle for a long time, a very long time. Last night we nursed for over an hour. A lot is just comfort nursing but the longer we nurse together, more letdowns come, and with them, more milk. I love watching her doze off and even sleep while suckling only to be "hit" again by another dose of milk that causes her to suck more vigorously again before the milk eventually slows again and aah, she rests again. I love knowing Aya is drifting into nighttime sleep comfortably with her mom. I used to take her off the breast when I knew she was done eating, but now I wait for her to do it on her own because I enjoy the time with her that much. I can tell myself I have not only fed her, but also that I have held her as long as she chose.

1 comment: