Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Making the Most of Pumping Sessions

I don't think pumping is any mother's favorite thing to do. It is not as cozy or as comfortable as nursing a little warm child, but it is important and necessary for many moms, including me! There are a few things I have learned about pumping that have helped me get more out of my sessions, and I'd like to pass these ideas along. It is disappointing to go through an entire pumping session only to get a little return for your time. Here are some things that have helped me add volume to my bottles!

Relaxing my shoulders. It is amazing how my body responds to being comfortable.

Massaging my breasts as I pump.

Returning to the stimulation phase on the pump after the initial letdown is over.

Pumping a full 15 minutes. I find I often get more milk in those final 2-3 minutes that I otherwise would have missed.

Lifting my breasts while pumping and leaning forward. Is it gravity?

What has helped most however, is doing nothing...if I do and think about something else while I'm pumping, I get far more milk than if I'm aware of just how how far away I am from my desired goal.

It has also helped me to realize that it is okay if I don't get a lot of milk from one session. I can pump again or more often for a day. The milk will come; I might just have to spend a little more time loving my baby by pumping more often for a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment