Monday, July 26, 2010

3 Weeks Old

At 3 weeks old, Aya was beginning to show some signs of a larger problem that I didn't know could exist. Around 6 weeks, we discovered I was producing far more milk than Aya needed or could handle. I wish I had known the signs in those early days, but as my lactation consultant said, we don't live in a culture that makes it very easy for moms to learn about breastfeeding from other moms. So, there we were at 3 weeks. Aya was rarely content. She fussed most of the time that she was awake and feedings didn't always seem to calm her. Usually, she still cried after eating which was confusing because I thought if I fed her she would have what she needed. It was hard to know when Aya was actually hungry because she was always very discontent. I now think it is important to know that crying or discontentment after eating is usually a sign there might be a problem, or at least is something to ask about.

No comments:

Post a Comment