Monday, July 26, 2010

The Clock and Reading Hunger Cues

During the first weeks, I really thought if I wrote down exactly what time Aya had ate and for how long on each side that I might start to notice a pattern in her day. I thought if Aya had a pattern, life would get a lot easier. Now, I realize that it is good to live less structured for awhile. It is good for my character. I think I must have read about writing down the details of every feeding in a book or else I don't think I would have thought about doing it. I wish I hadn't read it because it made me watch the clock way too much and listen far too little to the needs of my Aya. Breastfeeding is the first thing a mom and baby learn to do together and I had to learn to trust my little girl would stop when she had had enough and give me enough signals to tell me when she was hungry. For a long time, I found it difficult to read these cues; sometimes, I still do.

Now, nearly 6 months later, Aya does have more of a rhythm to her day, but it doesn't always say the same time on the clock. I have learned that when she pats my chest and cries towards the end of feedings it doesn't mean she is still hungry and can't get any more milk. I have learned it means she is done and wants to move on to something more exciting. I have also learned to read Aya's hunger cues better. She doesn't always put her hands to mouth like I read in the books, nor does she always root when I touch her cheek. Sometimes Aya starts rooting when she is not hungry and just needs to suck for awhile. Aya's hunger cues are more like a nervous dance accompanied by jerking legs and wiggling, anxious arms. I think hunger cues change as a baby grows and moms learn right along with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment