Saturday, July 31, 2010

Cabbage Leaves?

Yes, cabbage leaves. When Mary Kay started talking to me about ways to decrease my milk supply, she said a little tentatively, "You can try cabbage leaves too." Cabbage leaves have been used throughout the generations as a way to decrease a woman's milk supply, help with engorgement, or during weaning to keep the mother comfortable. Let me tell you, they work, and they work quickly!

I was open to trying anything of course, and so I took Mary Kay's advice and applied a freshly washed cabbage leaf to each breast, 20 minutes at a time, twice a day. We were careful not to overuse it because cabbage works quickly and effectively and we didn't want to diminish my supply too aggressively.

I liked to "wear" the cabbage after I fed Aya and took her for a walk. Since I wanted to walk for longer than 20 minutes, I watched my clock closely and when the time was up, I reached into my shirt, pulled out the cabbage, and tossed it on the ground for some natural composting. I had a good laugh about this thinking that if anyone had seen me they would have been very confused to see a young lady pulling a cabbage leaf out from under her shirt. However, I needed a good laugh during this time and so I did it without a worry in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment