Sunday, July 25, 2010

Let the Healing Begin

I can't emphasize enough the important of getting in touch with a lactation consultant as early as possible as you begin to breastfeed. I thought things were going just fine. I was sore, cracked and bleeding some, but I had heard this was par for the course and that it would get better. "Give it two weeks," was what I always heard. However, feedings were becoming increasingly more difficult and painful. I was beginning to dread them, even cry through them. It didn't help when Aya wanted to nurse for long periods of time, especially in the middle of the night when I hadn't figured out how to nurse her comfortably. I thought I just had to muscle up and let it pass, but when I finally called Mary Kay I found out I was wrong. She said that if I was cracked and bleeding I might want to consider using a nipple shield so they could heal and feedings could be more comfortable. Nipple shields also help newborns learn to latch on if they are having difficulty. The minute we heard this advice, Dan went out to get one at our local Target, and suddenly, miraculously, feeding became comfortable, almost enjoyable, for the first time since those initial feedings in the hospital. Plus, as an added bonus, it seemed Aya's latch had improved. Her mouth opened wider and her lips uncurled. In just two days I wasn't cracked or bleeding any longer and didn't have to use the shield again. The best thing about using the shield was that Aya's latch had improved as a result, and it seemed to stick even after I stopped using it. Dan always says to expecting parents now, "Make sure you have a nipple shield before the baby comes!" No one has ever heard of one and we still wonder why they don't come home with you from the hospital instead of information on supplementing and formula. Why keep these secrets from moms hoping to breastfeed? We have no idea!

One important thing to know while using a nipple shield is that it can sometimes cause a decrease in milk supply if used incorrectly, so please be in touch with a lactation consultant before and during its use.

No comments:

Post a Comment